Or read below...
For booking and general inquiries: email@example.com
Lynn Hollyfield's website: www.lynnhollyfield.com
Lynn Hollyfield's website: www.lynnhollyfield.com
Solo or with a BandLynn performs solo~vocals and guitar or with a band that is comprised of Steve Wolf (bass), Dave Abe (violin, fiddle, penny whistle) and Jimmy Brink (percussion). Harmony vocalists include Keely Hollyfield, Carey Creed and Mary Gordon Hall.
Lynn has opened for Tret, Fure, Tom Prasada Rao, Bill Staines, Caitlin Canty, Jesse Winchester, Jonathan Byrd, Christine Lavin and Loudon Wainwright III.
60 Word BioBlend a powerful singer, crisp acoustic guitar player and a heartfelt observer of the world and you have singer-songwriter, Lynn Hollyfield. Her "indie-folk-pop style" (Leicasterbangs, UK) reflects an infusion of many influences including great jazz artists, such as Ella Fitzgerald, to contemporary influences of John Hiatt, Shawn Colvin and CSNY. The resulting blend~her own voice mingling wit, a silky sweetness and thoughtful reverie to her songwriting and performance.
300 Word BioBlend a powerful singer, crisp acoustic guitar player and a heartfelt observer of the world and you will have singer-songwriter, Lynn Hollyfield. Hailing from Staten Island, NY, Lynn picked up a guitar at age 10 and started playing, learning from great jazz artists like Ella Fitzgerald and contemporary influences like the Beatles, CSNY, Shawn Colvin and John Hiatt. She soon started writing her own songs infusing these sounds to find her own voice, mingling contemporary folk, pop, blues and jazz. The resulting blend has been called an "indie-folk-pop style that could have (her) opening up for 10,000 Maniacs or Cowboy Junkies." (Leicasterbangs, UK).
Hollyfield's second solo recording, In The Balance, was released the end of April 2014. The album was funded in part by a successful Kickstarter campaign, where Hollyfield raised a total of $14,500 on and offline in a one-month period. In the Balance, is currently on the Folk DJ charts. John McLaughlin, Folk DJ-WU/This Digital Folk Life/Facebook, reviewed In The Balance and stated, "there's a range of moods and emotions captured in this music; it's a beauty." In The Balance is a compelling collection of 12 original songs set in arrangements that highlight Hollyfield's skillful guitar playing and her inviting, rich vocals. In The Balance was listed in the TOP ALBUMS for 2014 on the FOLKDJ Listserv as was her first album, Layers, in 2010.
She was first heard in the DC area as part of the duo, Hollyfield & Spruill, releasing two recordings, Slipping Time and Blue & Green. Layers, her first solo recording, exploded on the folk scene in 2010, receiving air play and positive reviews-nationally and internationally-marking her as a rising star of contemporary folk music. Layers, marked a turning point in her work, and brought together her wit, smoky sweetness and a thoughtful reverie to her first, solo recording. The Maryland Independent praised Layers as "a pensive, roots-driven collection that features the artist's angelic voice and fluid guitar picking." Layers, was listed as one of the Top Albums of 2010 on the Folk DJ Playlist and her work landed her 4 WAMMIE (Washington Area Music Association Awards) nominations in 2011. Her Vocals earned her additional WAMMIE nominations for Best Contemporary Folk Vocalists in 2012 and 2013. Songs from Layers have received Honorable Mentions in the MASC (Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Contest) and The Indie International Songwriting Contest-Folk Category. Jane Woods, from Fanrealm said, "Hollyfield's songs are beautiful and contain a universal wisdom we can all identify with. (Her songwriting) celebrates the truly important things in life - the journey not the destination."
Hollyfield supports other local musicians and songwriters by hosting monthly a SAW Open Mic (Songwriter's Association of Washington) in Greenbelt, MD and is a founding member/producer of the Homegrown Coffeehouse, Accokeek, MD, which has been hosting concerts since 1999.
Full Length BioBlend a powerful, passionate singer, a crisp, acoustic guitar player and a heartfelt observer of the world and you will have, singer-songwriter, Lynn Hollyfield. Hollyfield's roots hail from Staten Island, NY when she picked up the guitar at age 10 and ran with musical influences she experienced from home. From great jazz artists such as Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday to the Beatles, Cream and CSNY, Hollyfield launched into her own songwriting infusing these influences to create a diverse repertoire of contemporary folk, pop, blues and jazz.
Hollyfield's highly anticipated second solo recording, In The Balance, was released the end of April 2014. The album was funded in part by a successful Kickstarter campaign, where Hollyfield raised a total of $14,500 on and offline in a one-month period. In the Balance, is currently on the Folk DJ charts. John McLaughlin, Folk DJ/This Digital Folk Life.org, reviewed In The Balance and stated, "there's a range of moods and emotions captured in this music; it's a beauty." In The Balance is a compelling collection of 12 original songs set in arrangements that highlight Hollyfield's skillful guitar playing and her inviting, rich vocals. Hollyfield worked with award winnning produced, Marco Delmar at Recording Arts along with an accomplished array of area musicians including Carey Creed, Grace Griffith, Mary Gordon Hall, Marcy Marxer, Steve Wolf, Brian Simms, Dave Abe, Jimmy Brink and Kristen Jones. In The Balance is comprised of 12 originals 3 of which are collaborations with Carol Burbank, writer/poet/healer www.storyweaving.com.
Layers, her first solo recording, exploded on the folk scene in 2010, receiving air play and positive reviews-nationally and internationally-marking her as a rising star of contemporary folk. Layers, marks a turning point in her work, and brings together her wit, silky sweetness and a thoughtful reverie to her first, solo recording. "Her indie-folk-pop style would have (her) opening up for 10,000 Maniacs or Cowboy Junkies." (Leicasterbangs, UK). Lynn in fact has opened for headliners including: Jesse Winchester, Loudon Wainwright III, Jonathan Byrd and Christine Lavin. Layers, "presents a pensive, roots-driven collection, which feature the artist's angelic voice and fluid guitar picking." (Dickson Mercer, Maryland Independent). Well received by the Folk community, Layers became listed as one of the Top Albums of 2010 on the Folk DJ Playlist and in the Top 99 Albums of 2011, Dan Herman's Crystal Blue Radio Program. "Hollyfield's songs are beautiful and contain a universal wisdom we can all identify with. (Her songwriting) celebrates the truly important things in life – the journey not the destination. A wonderful CD you can listen to over and over and discover something new each time." (Jane Woods, Fanrealm.com). The Album graced the artist with three WAMMIE (Washington Area Music Awards) nominations~Best Contemporary Folk Recording, Best Debut Album and Songwriter of the Year (2011). Her songwriting received recent Honorable Mentions in the MASC (Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Contest) and The Indie International Songwriting Contest-Folk Category. "Lynn is a wonderful singer-songwriter," states Steve Wolf, Bassist (Swingspeak and Tom Principato). "Your songs are mesmerizing..." Carol Lite, Co-Chair of the Program Committee, Washington Folk Festival 2011.
Hollyfield's vocals have developed since her early musical endeavors as part of the duo, Hollyfield & Spruill, who released two recordings, Slipping Time and Blue & Green. Recently described as "the warmest voice since Christine McVie," by Ron Goad, percussionist, SAW (Songwriter's Association of Washington-Board of Directors) and "a most gorgeous tone, I could listen to your voice all day..." Lynn Veronneau, Jazz vocalist. Hollyfield received a WAMMIE nomination for Best Contemporary Folk Vocalist 2011 and 2012. "I love hearing your voice....so rich, gentle, comforting and inviting," writes Amy White, Award Winning Musician (Al Petteway & Amy White). Hollyfield supports her vocals and songwriting with her accomplished guitar playing. She performs on a regular basis with Grace Griffith-Singer, Multi WAMMIE Award Winner, Washington, DC Icon and Blix Street Recording Artist, who describes her playing as "strong, solid and right on time." Hollyfield continues to perfect her craft and recently attended the Kerrville Folk Festival Songwriting School, Kerrville, TX and the Northeast Regional Folk Alliance Conference, NERFA, in Kerhonkson, NY. In addition to performing throughout the Northeast, Lynn Hollyfield, supports other local musicians and songwriters by hosting the monthly, SAW Open Mic (Songwriter's Association of Washington) at the New Deal Café, Greenbelt, MD and is a founding member and producer of five concerts at the volunteer run, Homegrown Coffeehouse, held at the National Colonial Farm-Accokeek Foundation, Accokeek, MD since 1999.
Awards and Acknowledgements
- Honorable Mention in Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Contest-Children's category for "The Tree, The Ship and Me."
- Lynn listed in the TOP Artists-Radio Crystal Blue Podcast for 2016.
- Semi-Finalist for the song, LAYERS in the UK Songwriting Contest
- Received a WAMMIE NOMINATION for Best Contemporary Folk Vocalist, Washington Area Music Awards.
- Invited to showcase at the SSCAPEMAY-Singer-Songwriter Conference, March 18, 2016.
- Lynn Hollyfield-placed in the TOP 100 RadioCrystalBlue for 2015, DJ-Dan Herman
- Semi-Finalist for 3 songs in the UK Songwriting Contest
- Nominee for 5 Washington Area Music Awards: Best Contemporary Folk Vocalist, Best Contemporary FOlk ALbum-In The Balance, Best CD Design (Noah Urban), Songwriter of the Year and Artist of the Year! Performed at the Washington Area Music Association Awards Ceremony at the Stae Theater, Arlington, VA
- Semi-Finalist in the Bernard Ebb Songwriting Competition, Bethesda, MD
- In The Balance listed as one of the TOP ALBUMS for 2014, FOLKDJ Listserv
- Received 4MASC Wins: Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Contest Honorable Mentions for Because of You and Winter's Gift in the Folk category, Fear the WInd in the Adult Contemporary Category and Life and its Beauty in the Vocal Jazz/Blues category.
- Listed in TOP 99 Artists for 2014 by Radio Crystal Blue.
- Received a WAMMIE nomination (Washington Area Music Association Awards) for Best Contemporary Folk Vocalist.
- Listed in TOP 99 Artists for 2013 by Radio Crystal Blue.
- Lynn ran a successful 'Kickstarter' (crowd funding) campaign and raised $14,500 (kickstarter $10,800 and off-line donations of ~$3,700) for her next recording. Here is a link to the campaign:
CLICK HERE TO VIEW MY KICKSTARTER PROJECT!
- Received a WAMMIE nomination (Washington Area Music Association Awards) for Best Contemporary Folk Vocalist.
- Listed in TOP 99 Artists for 2011 by Radio Crystal Blue.
- Winter's Gift-Lynn's new holiday single, receives radio airplay.
- Washington Area Music Association: 4 WAMMIE Nominations for Best Contemporary Folk Album, Best Contemporary Folk Vocalist, Best Debut Recording, Songwriter of the Year.
- Indie International Songwriting Contest Winner-"Layers" #8 in Folk
- MASC Winner! Boats Gone by and Layers received Honorable Mentions in the Folk Category of MASC (The Mid-Atlantic Song Contest) 2010!
- LAYERS is listed as one of the TOP ALBUMS OF 2010 and in the TOP ARTISTS of 2010 as compiled by Richard Gillman from FOLKDJ- radio playlists!
- John Rumsey, FolkDJ with WKVR, 89.3FM, Folk Alley named LAYERS in his final TOP 5 CD's for 2010! LAYERS is keeping good company with Natalie Merchant-Leave Your Sleep; Mary Chapin Carpenter-Age of Miracles; Navigators-Sea Miner; and Chris Kokesh-October Valentine!
- Lynn's holiday single, COLD FRONT came in at #19 for Top Songs, December 2010, Folk DJ Playlist! Cold Front is on The Hudson Harding Holiday Sampler-Volume 5 which was #2 for Top Albums on the FolkDJ December Playlist.
- Mark Michaelis, WGDR Folk Music Director-Host; Acoustic Harmony, 91.1 FM, VT listed LAYERS as one of the Top 20 New Releases - WGDR New Folk /Americana Library consecutively for the months of August & September, October, November & December 2010!
- June 2010 LAYERS was on the FOLK DJ Charts is Number 13 for TOP ALBUMS of JUNE 2010; Lynn Hollyfield was Number 19 for the TOP ARTISTS OF JUNE 2010.
- Steve Clarke, Host: Acoustic Planet (Thursdays 8 to 10 pm), Erin Radio -- CHES 101.5 FM, Streaming Broadcast: www.erinradio.ca, "What a terrific album you've created with LAYERS, It's my pick of the month (June) here on Acoustic Planet."
- 1999 MASC (Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Contest Winner: Watching the Sky 3rd Place, Cold As Stone 5th place, Bad Kitty and For All You Bring-Honorable Mention in the Folk Category,
- 1996 Hollyfield & Spruill-Wammie Nomination for Best Acoustic Duo
- 1995 MASC: Finalist: Feel Like Seeing You, Talkin' Funny-Hon. Mention.
- 1994 Hollyfield & Spruill-Falcon Ridge Emerging Artist, Falcon Ridge Folk Festival
- 1993 WAMMIE NOMINATIONS: Hollyfield & Spruill received 5 Nominations-Best Folk Album, Best Acoustic Duo, Best Debut Album, Album of the Year, Best New Artist/Group.
- 1993 MASC: Finalist: Watching the Sky-Folk, Change- SemiFinalist in the Folk and Country categories
- 1992 MASC: Semi-finalist-For All You Bring and Honorable Mentions: Oh Brother & Tree Blues.
In The Balance (2014)
Winter's Gift-Holiday Single (2011)
Cold Front-Holiday Single (2010)
Blue & Green - Hollyfield & Spruill (1996)
Slipping Time- Hollyfield & Sopruill (1992)
In The Balance~FeedbackREVIEW of In The Balance by John McLaughlin, Folk DJ-Roots & Wings, WUMC and TheDigitalFolkLife.org, 6/1/14 "About a year or so ago. I had the privilege of having Lynn Hollyfield on my radio show, "Roots & Wings," on WMUC-FM, The U Maryland's station in College Park. She was such a fine guest-quick & witty in repartee, plus a great voice and songs-that when I saw she was going to be featured yesterday afternoon at the Washington Folk Festival in Glen Echo, MD, I made sure I got dropped over there for the day. Great lineup, packed stages - seven of them, as I recall - but I had a great time at Lynn's performance, with a fine band behind her including piano and harmonies from Carey Creed, and we talked a while after the set. This CD is "Lynn Hollyfield's~New Album~In the Balanc" - check her webpage, www.LynnHollyfield.com, and it's a beauty. With mostly her own compositions, some of which she featured in her performance yesterday, plus "New Way to Fly," "Mostly Wild" and "Cul de Sac" (lyrics by Carol Burbank, music by Lynn Hollyfield), there's a range of moods and emotions captured in this music. The band with her Carey Creed and Grace Griffith - harmony vocals, Brian Simms - piano, accordion and organ, Jim Brink -percussion and Steve Wolf - bass, is very tight, even if I heard Carey, who played piano and di backing vocals yesterday, exclaiming as she came offstage, "She doesn't need a band - she's 'such' a strong singer!" True, but no harm in this band behind anyone. Anyway, my favorite cuts, as of now, are the title cut, which opens the album, "Cul de Sac" (which she also featured in her set yesterday), "Inside Out" (tricky lyrics here) and "Because of You," a deliberately slow-starting love song which gets more intense the longer it goes (about 5 minutes of steam building up). But you'll find your own favorites once you get hold of it. Do so soon, and see what I'm getting at - John McLaughlin." What people are saying...
"I'm addicted to your music! Your music fills my day. Your lyrics touch my heart." DAS
"I've been listening to your CD. It is absolutely wonderful. I really love all of the tracks and a couple of them made me cry!" FG
"So good to have your latest CD in my car. As I drove down from NY, it helped melt the time away. Love every song." PC
"We have been listening to your CD in the car and we all love it. It's beautiful! It even kept the kids quiet!" CG
"I have to tell you how much I LOVE...LOVE "Inside out. Thank you for touching my heart with your gift." SG
"So good to hear you last night. Wonderful performance!" DAW
Maryland Independent, Dickson Mercer
'Layers' of Sound Power New CD from Local Folk Singer Hollyfield'
Through "Layers," Hollyfield presents a pensive, roots-driven collection of originals and two covers....each of the tracks feature the artist's angelic voice and fluid guitar picking.'
Layers is a collection of ten original songs and a couple of well-chosen covers. Her indie-folk-pop style would have gone down a treat 25 years ago when she would have been opening up for 10,000 Maniacs or Cowboy Junkies, and it still sounds pretty good now. Hollyfields' voice is strong and seductive, and her songs are warm and inclusive. Her version of the classic "Dream A Little Dream Of Me" strips the song back but takes no rash liberties with either tempo or arrangement. The title track – one of her own – is a beauty, which harks back to the best work of goth-folkies All About Eve.
Mark Michaelis, Acoustic Harmony, WGDR, 91.1 FM, VT
"I wanted let you know how very much I love "Layers"...The title absolutely does it justice and what I love so much about it is that it's such a lovely collection of songs that are interwoven together so specially that it's just a delight to listen to from start to finish...... Definitely one of my favorite releases of this year!" Layers on of the Top 20 New Releases - WGDR New Folk /Americana Library - August, 2010.
Steve Clark, Erin Radio, CHES 101.5 FM, www.erinradio.ca
"What a terrific album you've created with Layers. It's my pick of the month here on Acoustic Planet and I'm sure it will quickly become a fave with the audience. This is an album that starts with a voice that wraps itself around you like a blanket, is held together with crystal clear recording and followed up with incisive lyrics and superior instrumentation. This one's a winner!"
John Rumsey, Four Strong Winds, KVMR 89.5FM "Every year a new artist comes along and captures my heart. Washington DC artist Lynn Hollyfield, in her first solo, full length release, is this years discovery. She has a voice so warm and lovely it makes you want to run out and buy concert tickets. Most of the tunes are self written and are hopeful. Grace Griffith provides marvelous harmony vocals on many tracks. Adding to Lynn's fine guitar work are a wealth of talented musicians who provide layers of instrumental support. A worthy first effort bound for my top 5 of 2010. Lynn, your album is one of the best releases of 2010."
iTunes Customer Review of LAYERS, "Great Album (Five Stars)"
"My Dad popped this in the car today after school, and I loved it! The music was so passionate and wonderful. Buy this album, it's great! Lynn made me smile after a crappy day : )"
Jean Bayou, President of the Songwriter's Association of Washington
"I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your CD. It is a beautiful masterpiece, Lynn!!!"
Amy White~Award Winning Multi-instrumentalist, Songwriter, Vocalist
"What a GORGEOUS CD Lynn!! The whole package – the sound, the cover art, the graphic design. Just beautiful! I just love hearing your voice. So rich & gentle & comforting/inviting. My favorite so far is Late Summertime.... ;-) Congratulations!"
Micah Solomon, President, OASIS CD Duplication
"Thank you so much for sending along your CD. It is one of the most beautiful I have heard in a long time. It really made me actually enjoy the terrible rush hour commute. I love all the songs."
Lynn Veronneau, Jazz Vocalist~Veronneau
"I've been listening to your CD- it's beautiful - I could listen to your voice all day. A most gorgeous tone. "
Ron Goad, Songwriter's Association of Washington, Board of Directors
"The warmest voice since Christine McVie." "What a wonderful CD you have created. I'll be soaking it in again tomorrow..."
What people are saying...Steve Wolf~Award Winning Bass Player, Swingspeak
Thanks for inviting me to participate in this momentous evening. Your performance was truly inspired and your songs are wonderful. It was also a pleasure working with the first class team you assembled. I very much look forward to making music with you in the future.
"Thanks for bringing us all together and letting us be a part of your music."
Fans"You were great! What a fun concert! It was a joy to be there and to listen to you sing. Thanks!" Karen H.
"Just wanted to drop in and say that your concert was fantastic last night! I greatly enjoyed it . . . you were fantastic! :)" Noah U.
"I still haven't come down from the cloud of last nite." Terri S
"Your band really kicked - great group of musicians - talented and tasteful you were beaming and looked so comfortable and happy! " Frank K.
"Thank you all again for a wonderful concert yesterday evening!" Kirsten W.
"Congratulations, Lynn. An AMAZING evening." Carol B.
"Your concert was fantastic! You were just shining..." Kirsten W.
Comments from fan-email"Splendid CD…How marvelous to savour these songs… it's wonderful!!"
"I truly enjoyed your music and performance. Your work is just beautiful and powerful."
"I love your new cd. I just keep listening…"
Lynn Hollyfield Live Radio Interview w/ Mark Michaelis,
WGDR, 91.1FM, VT, Acoustic Harmony 8611
Lynn on Youtube
Stay up to date
Lynn Hollyfield's Music at Reverbnation